The great tribulation is going to be an unprecedented time of difficulty on Earth. The Antichrist and his followers will seek to eliminate virtually anyone who opposes him and his one-world government, economy, and religion.
Regardless of what your position on the Rapture is, there will be some people on Earth at that time who will oppose the Antichrist and will try to seek refuge from the extreme persecution that will take place on Earth at that time.
- The intent of today’s article is to provide my thoughts on whether there will be any safe places for people to hide from the Antichrist and his followers during the great tribulation in hopes that it will give people who may be on Earth at that time something to think about.
First, I’ll preface this article by making clear that it will be very difficult for the opponents of the Antichrist that are on Earth during the great tribulation to avoid persecution unscathed. Here are some important reasons why it will be very difficult for an opponent of Antichrist to completely avoid persecution:
- The Mark of the Beast system will make it difficult for an opponent of the Antichrist to buy or sell items without risk getting caught. The followers of the Antichrist will be required to get a mark (Revelation 13:16-17), so a person who is an opponent of the Antichrist will be distinguishable by not having one. Consequently, a person without a mark is at risk of being identified as an opponent of the Antichrist during a transaction if/when the counterparty in the transaction checks to see whether the person has the required mark to make the transaction.
- The great tribulation is likely going to be a time when some families and friends will turn against each other as Christ mentioned in Matthew 24:12, Mark 13:12, and Luke 21:16. It’s not unreasonable to think that some opponents of the Antichrist will be turned into the authorities by their own family members or friends.
- The Antichrist and his followers are likely going to be equipped with advanced technology to hunt for people and to monitor/spy on the movements of people. In addition, the Antichrist could have a high-tech reporting system to enable his followers to quickly report that they’ve encountered an opponent of the Antichrist.
- Another consideration is the presence of Satan’s angels on Earth after they are cast out of Heaven with Satan (Revelation 12:9). These angels would be available to aid the Antichrist’s efforts to find and eliminate his opponents. For example, some of these angels could play a role as the false Christs and false prophets mentioned by Christ to draw people out from hiding:
- Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
- Mat 24:25 Behold, I have told you before.
- Mat 24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
There may be a few locations which could provide opponents of the Antichrist some refuge from the intense persecution. The first location is the Judean Mountains as Christ told those who will be in Judea at the time the abomination of desolation is established to flee to the mountains.
Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
Mat 24:16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
Mat 24:17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
Mat 24:18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
Mat 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
Mat 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Mar 13:14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:
Mar 13:15 And let him that is on the housetop not go down into the house, neither enter therein, to take any thing out of his house:
Mar 13:16 And let him that is in the field not turn back again for to take up his garment.
Mar 13:17 But woe to them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
Mar 13:18 And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter.
Mar 13:19 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.
Luk 21:20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
Luk 21:21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
Luk 21:22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
Luk 21:23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.
The following is a map of Judea and the Judean Mountains. If you cannot see the image below, you can access it at the following link
Another relatively safe location may be the wilderness area of Revelation 12 since Revelation 12:6, 14-16 mentions that the “woman”, whom I think is connected to Israel in some manner, will be able to find nourishment at the wilderness area for 3 ½ years (time, and times, and half a time).
- Rev 12:6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.
- Rev 12:14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.
- Rev 12:15 And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.
- Rev 12:16 And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.
The location of this wilderness area is subject to debate, but I believe Edom, Moab and Ammon are the primary locations which will comprise the wilderness area mainly because Daniel 11:41 suggests that each of these locations will escape an attack by the Antichrist:
- Dan 11:41 He shall enter also into the glorious land, and many countries shall be overthrown: but these shall escape out of his hand, even Edom, and Moab, and the chief of the children of Ammon.
(More on why I believe Edom, Moab and Ammon are the primary locations which will comprise the wilderness area mentioned in Revelation 12 can be found at the following link).
Finally, I would not rule out the possibility for some opponents of the Antichrist to encounter individuals who will be willing to provide them a place of refuge. Christ implied that there will be individuals (the sheep) who will provide help to those in need during His discussion about the Sheep & Goat Judgment:
- Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
- Mat 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
- Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
- Mat 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
- Mat 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
I don’t think a lot of opponents of the Antichrist will find these types of individuals, but they are possible to find.
I hope people found this article informative. Feel free to comment if you have anything you like to add.